Crooked teeth, known within dentistry as malocclusion, or popularly as crowded teeth in some parts of the World. Are teeth that are not aligned properly in your mouth, they can be found in both human beings and animals, but can be fixed with the use of braces and a dental procedure.
What type of malocclusion's are there? Edit
Here are some potential issues:
- Buildup of plague and tartar
- Harbors harmful periodontal bacteria
- Risk of periodontal disease, tooth, and bone loss
- Food lodges between teeth
- Risk of sore, tender gums
- Risk of peridontal disease
- Deep Bite
- Over-erupted lower front teeth that can damage the palate
- Premature wear and chipping of the lower front teeth
What causes crooked teeth? Edit
Crooked teeth are caused by human behavior, specifically mouth breathing, tongue thrusting, reverse swallowing and thumb sucking (known as incorrect myofunctional habits). Not big teeth being in small jaws or hereditary factors.
Why are crooked teeth a problem? Edit
Left untreated, malocclusion (crooked teeth) can lead to periodontal disease and create abnormal amounts of stress on teeth and jaws, which leads to premature wear.
Source, invisalign straight talk educational brochure